Tuesday, December 06, 2005

My cemetary is dying


I said Goodbye to my cemetary today. I was probably the only one to really notice how this landscape is being dismantled. I spent one year of my life living and breathing death; six months of it inhaling this interchanger. I've sketched these arteries who knows how many times, blocking out different zones, cutting here, adding there, colour, shade, etc. Zone non-aedificandi, what-ever! I've walked it's labyrinth, extended it's pillars, j'ai figé son béton en images, and I ceremoniously declared it 'Death'. Now, soon, it will be truly gone.

When we are students, we whip out proposals, hypotheticals, utopias. Rendered, presented, and critiqued, they then stay in the back of our minds; when we revisit these sites, we can still see their potential ghosts. My site is being destroyed, and this was the last time I was able to imagine my utopia, walk through it, and be convinced of the potential it could bring to the city. It is the second time I have had to mourn in this manner - milestone projects, serious mourning.

There is nowhere for death to hide now, her tunnels are all abare. And, you know what, I heard her wail, when the tractor dug deeper, I swear. Or, maybe the cry was coming from me... with every picture I had to take. This was a hard death, and thank God I had a camera.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home